Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Family Reunion in Yuma (yes...Yuma)

Back in February we had a family reunion in Yuma, AZ. And yes, I said Yuma. Whenever I would tell people I was going there for a family reunion the question "Why in Yuma???" always followed. Well let me just start off by answering that question for you, the reunion was held in Yuma because it was a reunion for my Dad's side of my family, or more specifically, my Dad's Mom's side of the family. There's just a lot of family history from that side of the family in Yuma, thus why they had it there. For instance, my great-great-great-Aunt opened a boarding house there and that same boarding house is where my Grandma met my Grandpa. Ahhhhh... precious, (I know)! Anyway, Garrick had to work that whole weekend so I ended up going solo with the two girls. It wasn't a big deal though because I met up with my parents in Tucson and we caravaned to Yuma together and we ended up getting hotel rooms right next to each other which was really nice (for me, haha). I was looking forward to spending time with so much family there, but not really looking forward to the whole "being in Yuma" part. However, I actually really liked Yuma! It was perfect weather and they have some good shopping there and lots of pretty and old architecture (which I love).
So anyway, I think I've blabbed enough about background detail, let's get into what we actually did there....

Got an awesome deal on a sweet rental vehicle for the weekend....Photobucket

Just kidding. That was just one of the "floats" waiting for the parade to start. If you are wondering why they all have numbers on their chests, it's because we ran a 5k saturday morning. I ran it with my Dad and it was so much fun to run to do that with him! We even made pretty good time too! (Ryan and my uncle Dan took off as soon as the race started a kicked our trash...but we don't like them anyway.... j/k) Towards the middle/end of the race we ran past our hotel and my Mom brought Rylee and Jadyn out to cheer us on. What did Rylee say to me as we ran past? "Run faster Mom! Run faster!". Gee thanks Ryles. Haha :)

After the race, we met up with all the family to watch the parade. The girls LOVED it and Rylee even scored a sweet cowgirl hat from Grandma. Then the family was divided up into teams and we all went on a scavenger hunt around Yuma. The best part was lunch at In 'N Out. Yum!
Photobucket
Actually, I'd have to say the best part of the scavenger hunt was getting to see the church that my Grandma and Grandpa were married in. Cute, huh?
Photobucket
Then the girls and Grandpa got a little swim time in....

Photobucket

And then we had a banquet with all the family and had a great time!Photobucket

The next morning we had breakfast at this AMAZING park by the river. They have all these great trails along the river and eating areas, and then they have this incredible play area (or more accurately play castle) for the kiddos. Rylee had a BLAST there and it was hard to convince her we had to leave and drive home.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

It was so much fun to spend time with my family (like always) but I also really appreciated and enjoyed the opportunity to meet and get to know so much extended family. All in all, we had a GREAT time!

4 comments:

P B Wallace said...

What you didn't say was that you had to wait, encourage, almost physically pull along your old man to the finish of the 5K. The whole thing was however, a TON of FUN, (with the exception of the not so good Mexican food on Friday night.) Sure glad you guys made it. We did miss G though!

Rachel and Eric said...

I quite enjoyed the post about Yuma. And where was Aubrey? Was she not invited? I kind of want to go to Yuma now...By the way, when are you guys coming to ABQ? Don't you want some Dions?

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

Awww...wish I could've come! Boo on school and being broke (of course I was invited, what a dumb question!)...I love all those cute pics of the festivities, but mostly of my cute lil' Rylers and J-dawg...

Emily said...

That look like so much fun! Yuma was part of Alan's San Diego mission--He served there for a while too! It was the middle of the summer, though, so his memories aren't as fond as yours (it's the hottest place in the US!). Your girls are too cute and it's so fun to see the rest of your family. Miss you guys@