Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I'm a maniac...maaaniac on.the.run!

Anybody else have that song in their head now? Nevermind...

Anyway, I would like to let all 3 of you who read this blog onto a little known secret... when you run (or I guess exercise in general, but I am talking about running here) you should breath in through your nose and out through your mouth.
Some of you may be laughing and going "uh, DUH!" but let me just tell you that I did not know that AND a LOT of people I have talked to about this didn't know/or realize what a humongous difference it makes! To put it mildly...this information has changed my life (that might be a tad dramatic- but let's just say that I literally went from not even being able to run a mile without practically dying to running much more than that!)
So, with this new-found ability to actually run... I ran the Bisbee Stair Climb! What is that you might ask? Well, it was picked by Runner's World as the October Event in the USA! And it's actually just a 5k run, but the kicker is that it's a 5k PLUS 1,000 stairs! Bisbee is an old touristy little mining town that has all these old stairs throughout the city so some genius decided to make up race were you include the stairs. (I might have been cursing that person as I was trying to make it up those stairs... and by "might" I mean "was"). Anyway, I actually finished the race in a fairly decent time and much better than what I thought I would, so that's always good! :) Oh, and I have to write about the BEST part of the race....so towards the end part of the run I could tell that these 3 youngish (i would guess 18-22 age range???) guys were using me as a pacer. Every time I would pass them I could hear them encouraging each other and then they would pass me. That is, until we got to this steep downhill, and so, hello, I am going to book it downhill because that's what you do, right? Well, as I am running past those 3 punks one of them looks at me and I hear loud and clear "Oh shoot!" (except he didn't say shoot, I am editing). It felt great. And yes, I beat them! Ha!

Anyway, the run was actually really fun and I felt accomplished for doing it. Will I do it again?
I would love to!
bisbee stair climb
Oh, and if you are thinking "running=skinny" you are wrong. In my case anyway... I might be able to get skinny by running if I would stop eating so much junk food, but alas, I really have no self-control at all. Any suggestions on how to gain some???

12 comments:

Our Ohana said...

woohoo! you go girl! and lemme know when you figure out that self control thing! ;)

Tyler and Bryna said...

hahaa running = skinny!! "make me skinny... make me skinny" that's what i chant as i'm running!!ha

Spencer and Marlee said...

You are a maniac! That's why I LOVE you. Just to let you all know that r reading... Kara ran 5.6 miles yesterday!
ps Good Job on the stair climb!

Kristin said...

Wow! That looks like an awesome race! That's cool you did so well - you always were athletic. I remember at girl's camp one year you were showing off your calf muscles (while putting on your socks) and we were all poking you to feel how hard they were! I know, weird thing to remember, huh?!

Kim's just sayin' said...

How in the world did you not know that?!?! Weren't you a soccer player? :)

sounds like a fun run except maybe the stair part. good job kicking those young guys booties!! :)

Lindsey said...

Good work with your race...I bet beating those guys was WAY more satisfying than you are willing to admit : )
As for the breathing thing- I had to ask one of my marathon running friends how to breathe whilst "wogging". Unfortunately, it doesn't really help. I still feel like I am dying after embarrassingly tiny distances : )

hdawgy said...

That sounds like a fun race! Now I wanna do it! How often do they do it? Just once a year? I have the same problem you do with eating junk girl!! haha I guess that's why we run...so we can eat the junk right? haha

Emily said...

Wow! Amazing, Kara! I'm super impressed.

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

You are so awesome...and I'm pretty sure in your case "being kara=skinny" so I don't want to hear any more about it...mom and I agree you look fab! (c:

Megan said...

Sounds like a fun race! I agree that you already are skinny and you have 2 kids! Way to go on beating those punk boys. How rude. I'm so glad you showed them what was up! :)

Tiffany said...

I think the guys pacing you was great motivation to kick butt! That sounds like an awesome race. Maybe someday I'll do something like that. I need something to motivate me to run! Kara, you are AWESOME!

Courtney and Robbie Driver said...

Too funny, Kara, too funny.